In one of the most sensational trials in recent American history, a jury in Minneapolis has found former police officer Derek Chauvin guilty of the murder of George Floyd. While the case has become a perennial stumbling block for activists across the country because of the disturbing video showing Floyd’s murder, it has also served to encourage NBA stars to support movements to correct racial injustice and police brutality.
With the announcement that Chauvin was found guilty on all three charges and could face up to 40 years in prison, stars from across the league were quick to react to the verdict, which many hope will be a turning point in the fight for equality.
Justice and accountability! Things I never thought I’d see. There is still much to do, but this is an incredible start to REALLY reforming this country!
– Karl-Anthony Towns (@KarlTowns) April 20, 2021
– DeMarcus Cousins (@boogiecousins) April 20, 2021
God is always good.
– Donovan Mitchell (@spidadmitchell) April 20, 2021
.. It’s about time.
– Trae Young (@TheTraeYoung) April 20, 2021
– Ricky Rubio (@rickyrubio9) 20. April 2021
– Tim Fraser (@Timfraz23) April 20, 2021
Accountability is the current trend
– Kevin Love (@kevinlove) April 20, 2021
Put him in jail.
– Josh Hart (@joshhart) April 20, 2021
I can breathe… my grandmother
– JJJ (@jrenjacksonjr) April 20, 2021
– Reggie Bullock (@ReggieBullock35) April 20, 2021
Tears of Joy # Justice
– Malik Beasley MB5 (@Mbeasy5) April 20, 2021
1, 2, 3… Justice
– 14 (@RjHampton14) April 20, 2021
– Bobby BP Portis (@BPortistime) April 20, 2021
– Tre Jones (@Tre3Jones) April 20, 2021
– Andre Drummond (@AndreDrummond) 20. April 2021
In addition to the many expressions of support from players for the jury’s decision in the case, the league office and the NBA Players Association issued a joint statement recognizing the importance of this moment.
The murder of George Floyd was a backlash against the way we view race and justice in our country, and we are pleased that justice appears to have been served, the statement said, according to ESPN’s Dave McMenamin. But we also recognize that there is still much work to be done, and the National Basketball Association and the National Basketball Players Association, along with our new Coalition for Social Justice, will redouble our efforts to advocate for meaningful changes in criminal justice and law enforcement.
Of the reactions from players and the league, Jamal Crawford perhaps best summed up the collective angst that characterized the process leading up to the ruling.
But the fact that we all saw what we saw last year and are still nervous about him being held accountable shows how far we still have to go…..
– Jamal Crawford (@JCrossover) April 20, 2021
Thanks to George Floyd, maybe we can start breathing again.
derek chauvin daughter namederek chauvin wifekellie chauvinnfl newslakers newsnba standings,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,derek chauvin daughter name,derek chauvin wife,kellie chauvin,nfl news,lakers news,nba standings