India’s COVID-19 tally has crossed the 65-lakh mark with 75,829 new coronavirus instances and 940 deaths reported within the final 24 hours, the Well being Ministry information launched this morning exhibits. The nation now has 65,49,373 whole instances of coronavirus, together with 9,37,625 energetic instances and 55,09,766 recoveries. A complete of 1,01,782 individuals have misplaced their lives to COVID-19 until now. States of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Punjab reported the very best deaths within the final 24 hours.
Here is your 10-point cheatsheet to this massive story:
- India has scaled up its testing capability from one in January to greater than 7.7 crore in October. With progressively falling positivity fee, testing has labored as an efficient software to restrict the unfold of COVID-19 an infection, in line with Union Ministry of Well being & Household Welfare.
- States of Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Punjab reported the very best deaths within the final 24 hours. Maharashtra – one of many worst-hit state with greater than 14 lakh instances — accounted for 20 per cent of the brand new every day instances, adopted by Kerala, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu.
- India continues to occupy the highest international place with the utmost variety of COVID-19 recoveries and accounts for 21 per cent of the recovered instances worldwide, whereas its share within the whole instances stands at 18.6 per cent, the Union Well being Ministry stated on Saturday. India has additionally maintained its international place with one of many lowest COVID-19 case fatality charges (CFR) when in comparison with a number of different nations.
- India added 23 lakh recent coronavirus instances or 40 per cent of the nation’s present COVID-19 tally within the month of September alone, authorities information exhibits. September additionally noticed one-third of the Covid-related deaths reported because the pandemic started. As per information, the nation has been reporting greater than 1,000 deaths a day for the previous month, excluding September 28.
- In an enormous reduction for passengers forward of the festive season, the Railways has allowed the sale of cooked meals at its catering and merchandising models on stations for the primary time because the coronavirus outbreak however stated the meals plazas, Jan Ahars, cell kitchens, and refreshment rooms will open just for takeaways. Stalls on platforms have been shut all through the novel coronavirus-induced lockdown, which was imposed on March 25 to test the unfold of the an infection.
- US President Donald Trump stated in a video launched on Twitter Saturday evening that he was feeling “significantly better” in his battle in opposition to the coronavirus — however the subsequent few days can be “the true take a look at.” The 74-year-old assured the general public of his progress hours after a supply with data of the president’s situation had warned his important indicators had been worrying, with the following 48 hours crucial.
- India is within the third spot by way of fatalities globally after the US and Brazil, in line with Johns Hopkins College, which has been compiling COVID-19 information from everywhere in the world.
- A vaccine in opposition to coronavirus, being developed collectively by scientists on the College of Oxford and pharma large AstraZeneca, could also be cleared by well being regulators by the top of this yr, in line with a UK media report. The vaccine candidate is the furthest within the means of trials, in line with a report in The Instances quoting British authorities sources. “We’re nearer to 6 months and it’s more likely to be far shorter than that,” one such supply stated.
- As some individuals discourage using face masks claiming it might be a well being danger, researchers from American Thoracic Society have stated face masks are unlikely to trigger over-exposure to carbon dioxide, even in sufferers with lung illness.
- Globally, greater than 3.four crore individuals have been contaminated by the novel coronavirus, which broke out in China’s Wuhan lower than a yr in the past. No less than 10 lakh individuals have misplaced their lives to COVID-19.