How do I delete my Facebook account? Mark Zuckerberg’s social network has gone from being a must-have to a kind of digital drug with a difficult withdrawal process in its fifteen years of existence. The impact of social networking in our lives is simply insane and the need to disconnect is growing. We explain how to do this from the PC or smartphone, but also how to back up your data and delete your activity to really disappear from the social network
Want to get off Facebook? The Social Network is in turmoil, especially since the 2016 US elections that highlighted the perverse effects of the platform. The Facebook-Cambridge Analytica affair also went through this, and then the recent Facebook hack did not help and proves once again how complicated it is to trust the social network To make matters worse, the average age on the social network is rising and Young People are increasingly deserting the platform in favour of alternative social networks It’s high time you closed your account and joined them, isn’t it?
To delete or deactivate a Facebook account :
Galaxy Note10+ Star Wars Edition – unboxing and getting started
- First of all we advise you to backup your data and delete your activity on Facebook.
- Go toSettings then clickYour Facebook Information
- ClickView on lineDelete your account and information
- Click onDelete myaccount and confirm with your password
Complete and final deletion of your Facebook account will take effect after 30 days. Your personal data is kept for 90 days. This process can still be cancelled at any time during this period. Your diary will then no longer be available and your profile will no longer appear in search results. After this time, all your data will be lost forever provided you have properly deleted all your interactions.
A piece of advice: if you are really sure of your choice, we advise you to log out manually, delete your cookies and the Facebook password in your managers, in order to avoid any accidental connection which would then immediately reactivate your account.
How to delete or deactivate a Facebook account from an Android smartphone
The approach on Android or iOS smartphone is similar. In addition, it is also possible to delete your interactions one by one via your Personal History, but this is even more time consuming and laborious, and there is no way on smartphone to automate this task.
- Go tomenu ≡ >Settings and Privacy > Settings > Account Properties and Control > Deactivation and Deletion
From there you can simply deactivate your account. If you’re sure you want to delete it:
- Touch Delete account and validate by touching Continue deleting account
- TouchDelete accountand confirm with your password
- Uninstall Facebook on your smartphone and on all devices where the application is installed.
You want to disappear from Facebook, so be it. Having said that, are you sure you don’t want to find a photo or a publication that made you laugh in the past in a few months? Another argument is that you may need to find information that was published a long time ago on your wall. So, it’s best to play it safe by preserving all the information accumulated during your presence on Facebook, before you lose access to it. You will be able to do this manually if there is little information you are really interested in (texts, photos).
If you have lots of memories to collect, there is an option Upload a copy of your data to Facebook :
- Go to the arrow in the top right corner of the Home page
- Click on Settings > Your Facebook Information (in the menu on the left)
- Click on Download your information
- Select the content you are interested in and click onCreate an archive
Your password will be requested, and you will receive all the data in your mailbox within a few hours.
Even if you close your account,your actions, publications, comments, etc., will remain on the social network. So it takes an extra step to delete your activity on Facebook. This is a step too often neglected by those who wish to leave the social network.
- Go to your Personal History
- From there, you can delete all your interactions… but one by one!
You read that right: Facebook does not allow you to delete everything at once. By hand, deleting your posts will take about 20-30 minutes per month ofactivity. This can keep you busy for a very long time if you’ve been on Facebook for several years. Fortunately, there are Chrome or Firefox extensions to automate this grotesquely laborious task!
- Install the Social Book Post Manager extension in Google Chrome by clicking here
- Open Facebook fromChrome
- Go to the arrow in the top right corner and then to Personal History
This is where all your posts are. You can view a reduced list of posts for deletion using the filters provided by Facebook.
- Click on the Social Book Post Managericon in the extensions at the top right of the Chromewindow.
- ChooseAll inYearandMonth
- If you are sure you want to delete everything, uncheck the boxPrescan on page speed
- Click Delete
- Wait (the process can take several hours).
We told you, you have 30 days to go back and cancel the deletion or deactivation of a Facebookaccount. It’s as simple as that:
- Login to Facebook
A message appears asking you to confirm or cancel the deletion. If you click on the blue button without reading too much of what is displayed, the whole procedure will be automatically cancelled without any further action on your part. Some will say that makes it difficult to delete the account, as it is possible that someone could log in and cancel the whole procedure without your knowledge. So remember to delete your cookies and your Facebook password from your manager if you want to avoid at all costs that everything is canceled without your knowledge …
We hope you found this tutorial useful! Feel free to tell us about any difficulties you have encountered – we will update this tutorial based on your feedback.