This exam of UPSC is not easy to pass. Preparing for the exam is time consuming. Many students start preparing early enough to be sure they will pass the exam. Every year thousands of students enroll in the UPSC exams for IAS, IPS and IRS. The test will be one of the most difficult exams you have taken so far. You need to make sure that you spend at least 10 to 12 hours to pass the exam.
If you are interested in becoming an IRS employee, we have some very helpful information in this article. You can use this information to prepare for the UPSC exam and understand everything you need to pass. If you start preparing at the right time, it’s not a difficult task.
Who is an employee of the Indian Revenue Service?
An officer of the Revenue Department or the Indian Revenue Service shall be appointed as Deputy Commissioner in departments such as the Income Tax Department, Revenue Departments, Excise Departments and Customs Departments. These employees may also be employed as deputy directors in the tax department. This means that the tax representative deals with both direct and indirect taxes.
There are two branches of the IRS:
- IRS for Customs and Excise
- Income Tax Administration.
If you pass the UPSC exam and score well, you will be placed in one of these departments and both will go to the Department of Revenue in India.
You must first pass the entrance exam, which is again divided into two parts. If you pass both exams, you must participate in a personal interview. Only if you pass the three tests, you will be appointed as an officer in the Indian Tax Department in India. We have discussed all this information in detail.
If you want to become an IRS employee, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a resident of India.
- Only persons of Indian origin who have migrated to India with the intention of settling there permanently can also apply. But you must be immigrating from Myanmar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Zambia, Vietnam, Malawi, Ethiopia or Zaire. People from other countries are not allowed to take this exam.
If you meet the above criteria, you should check the qualifications for the UPSC exam for IRS agents. So here is what your education level should be if you want to take this exam.
- The candidate must have a valid degree from a state university, a central university or a recognized university in India.
- If you have taken distance learning, you can also sit for the UPSC exam.
- Candidates who have graduated from an open university can also participate in the UPSC exam.
- In addition, any qualification recognized as valid by the Government of India can be added to the examination.
In addition, there is another group of candidates who may be eligible for the exam. However, it is very important that they prove their eligibility at the main exam. If you fail to provide this evidence, you will not be admitted to the roster, even if you qualify for the preliminary exams.
- Students who have passed all MBBS exams and are still on probation may take this exam.
- If you have passed your final examination as a Chartered Accountant from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, you are eligible to apply.
- If you have a valid degree from a private university, you can still apply.
- If you have a valid degree from a foreign university and have been accepted by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU).
Apart from all other information, the age limit is also an important factor to consider before taking the UPSC exam. The age limit depends on your caste or reservation, so here is detailed information about it:
- You must be at least 21 years old to register for this exam.
- The maximum age for persons in the general category is 32 years.
- The maximum age for persons in the OBC category is 35 years.
- The maximum age for ST/SC category is 37 years.
Depending on the category you belong to, you should check the age limit and apply.
There is an age limit for taking the exam, and this is one of the main reasons why you should start preparing as soon as possible. But again, there is a limit to the number of times you can take the exam. So here are the details about it, and it also depends on the category or reservation you have:
- For the general category, you may have six tries.
- For the OBC category, you are allowed nine tries.
- There are no restrictions for ST/SC candidates. They can try as many times as they want until they are 37 years old.
Therefore, you should also consider this point before the next application. Make sure you are well prepared, otherwise you can wait until next time and write well. If you are a minor, you may take any attempt before you are barred from taking the exam.
Another important thing you need to know before you start preparing is the exam pattern. The style or pattern of the exam is very important, otherwise you will not be able to prepare properly. Every year thousands of students apply for this exam and only 1,000 candidates from all over India are selected. This is one of the most demanding exams conducted by the Indian government. The review and interview process will take at least a year.
The test consists of three steps:
- Preliminary examination
- Personal interview
The preliminary exam is worth 400 points, and you will have to complete two assignments. There are 200 stamps on each paper. Both tests are purely objective. The first article deals with general research and the second with proficiency testing. This is the CSAT, which stands for Civil Service Aptitude Test. You have two hours for each test. You will get answers to your questions in Hindi and English. However, questions relating to the English language will be asked in English only. Preliminary exams are held in April or May of each year.
Once you qualify for the preliminary exams, you will need to turn in the electrical system. The main exam is held each year in September or October. This is a 2025 mark exam, consisting of the A and B exam parts and the 1 to 7 exam parts. Key A is for your chosen language and is worth 300 points. The B document is in English, and it is also the 300-stamp document. The remaining seven tests, from test 1 to test 7, are very important as they are counted towards the merit list and it is therefore important that you do well in these tests. Of the seven tests, two have an optional subject. You can choose a topic that you know well or that can be easily prepared.
If you pass the basic exams, you will be invited for a personal interview, which will take place in March or April. So the whole process will take almost a year.
Training or probation:
If you are among the 1,000 lucky people selected for the Indian Revenue Service after a personal interview, you will have to undergo training. The course is conducted at the Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Management in Mussoorie. The duration of the course is 15 weeks. This training is offered to all candidates selected for civilian service. This provides a solid foundation to help them do their jobs better.
The next level of training will be at the National Academy of Direct Taxes (NADT) in Nagpur. This part of the training is specialized and not broad like the previous training program. It is separate for IAS, IPS and IRS employees. The duration of the training is 16 months. Candidates receive intensive training in tax and other accounting procedures, which they must complete during their internship.
Duties of an Internal Revenue Service Official :
The duties and responsibilities of an IRS employee are very strict.
- IRS officials must detect tax fraud. They can raid a house at any time to search and seize it if it is illegal.
- They are also deployed at the borders to stop smuggling and secure the country’s economy.
- An IRS agent continues to patrol the high seas to prevent piracy and smuggling.
- They are also responsible for exposing many scams in India.
The IRS salary scale is something that is very important to you. Typically, you begin your career as an IRS employee with the rank of Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax. The salary will be between 15,000 and 40,000 rupees. For Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax and Deputy Commissioner of Income Tax, the salary remains the same but there is a difference in the salary scale. As your career progresses to the position of Additional Commissioner of Income Tax, your salary will also increase. It will be between 37,000 and 67,000 rupees. If you reach the post of Chief Commissioner of Income Tax, you will get a fixed salary of 85,000 rupees. This is the highest salary, but you can also enjoy the other benefits of working at the head office.
This was the most useful information about the IRS and how to become an IRS employee. It takes a lot of training and dedication to the work. If you are interested in the UPSC exam, you need to make sure that you start your preparation very early. Since there is an age restriction and a certain number of times you can take this exam, you should be very careful when you register for the exam. Make sure you don’t squander your efforts or wait longer than your age to not take advantage. There are several previous exams available online that can help you prepare for the UPSC exam organized by the Government of India. It takes a lot of work, but it’s not an impossible exam to pass. Try it if you want to become a financial agent.
frequently asked questions
How do you become an IRS agent?
Examination career in India…
What is the salary of an IRS employee in India?
What is the salary of an IRS employee?
indian revenue service salaryindian revenue service exam 2020irs officer salary per monthirs exam 2021irs exam syllabus 2021irs exam apply online 2021,People also search for,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,indian revenue service salary,indian revenue service exam 2020,irs officer salary per month,irs exam 2021,irs exam syllabus 2021,irs exam apply online 2021,irs syllabus pdf download,how to become irs officer