Today’s period of modern society development is characterized by a strong influence of computer technologies on it, which affects all spheres of human activity, provides dissemination of information flows in society, forming a global information space. An integral and important part of these processes is the computerization of education.
Computer technology is a technology of learning using a computer, its software and multimedia that solves many didactic tasks. The computer, as a tool for information processing, can serve as a powerful technical means of learning and play the role of an irreplaceable helper for the younger generation.
As it is known, a person’s education begins in kindergarten, then continues at school. Since computer technologies are actively used in modern schools, the child’s familiarity with technology begins at an early age.
The problem of the influence of computer technology on a child was of interest to many researchers. Psychologists have their own approach to the problem of “computer technologies and students,” they evaluate it from the point of view of the tasks that the child must solve at each stage of his or her development. They believe: the earlier a child learns the computer, the less the psychological barrier between him or her and the machine, because a child has virtually no fear of technology.
The interaction of students with a computer begins with carefully selected computer games, taking into account age and educational orientation. Computer games in school fulfil an important educational function. They are designed so that the child can imagine a particular situation. In this way, the child develops thinking and ability to make conclusions. During computer classes, memory and attention are improved.
Computer games teach students to overcome difficulties, to control actions, and evaluate the results. Thus, a computer helps to develop not only the intellectual abilities of a child, but also to educate volitional qualities, such as autonomy, assimilation, concentration, thereby enriching his adaptation skills in society.
However, besides games, students try to work on their computer too: they print, paint, try to use different devices and programs.
One can distinguish both positive and negative aspects of the influence of computer technologies on modern students.
- Formation of own behavior;
- Formation of business motivation;
- Brain building;
- Ability to predict;
- Abstraction thinking;
- Rapid information mastering;
- Strategic thinking;
- Ability to plan;
- Improved concentration;
- Ability to navigate the information space.
- Computer addicting;
- Negative mentality impact;
- Lack of initiative;
- Virtual life;
- The problem of moral development;
- Speech violations;
- Stereotypes of thinking;
- Visual disturbances;
- Situational behavior;
- Electromagnetic radiation;
- Emergence of stress situations in case of loss of information.
Computer technology has become a very important means of teaching in higher education. Universities are interested in high-quality training of their graduates, in creating an information technology environment, providing solutions to educational, research and other tasks at the level of modern requirements, in providing the systemic implementation of information technologies in all types and forms of organization of the educational process in training natural science and humanities cycle students.
Experts identify the following most important positive aspects of the use of computer technology for students:
- A variety of information presentation forms;
- high degree of visibility;
- ability to model various processes;
- release from routine work, distracting from mastering the main content;
- good suitability for the organization of collective research work;
- a differentiated approach to the student’s work, depending on the level of training, cognitive interests, etc.;
- organization of immediate control and teacher’s assistance.
It is also worth noting that modern multimedia computer programs and telecommunication technologies provide students with access to non-traditional sources of information – electronic hypertext textbooks, educational sites, supportive educational services, such as Pro-Papers, etc.
With the increasing introduction of computer technology into the educational industry, the currently popular form of education through Internet – online learning – has emerged.
Online learning (e-learning, distance learning) is a method of acquiring new knowledge using the Internet in real time. Currently, the e-learning industry is one of the most rapidly developing technologies in the world in the field of education.
Due to its convenience, distance education is becoming an increasingly popular form of education. In the age of information technology, online education allows us to solve one of the main problems that impede education and self-development – the reluctance to return to the “school desk”. The undoubted advantages of online distance learning courses are also:
- Ability for a learner to independently build a training schedule, as well as determine the duration of classes.
- Free choice. A student chooses any of the available courses of study, as well as independently plans the time, place and the classes’ duration.
- Availability. Regardless of geographic location and time, the student has access to educational resources and course materials.
- Technical flexibility – the use of the latest achievements of information and telecommunication technologies in the educational process.
Computer technologies have become indispensable assistants in the planning and organization of the educational process. Today, the process of IT penetration into education is relevant. This process triggers:
- Improvement of educational system management mechanisms using automated data banks of scientific and pedagogical information, methodological materials, as well as communication networks;
- Creation of methodical training systems focused on the development of the student’s intellectual potential;
- Various software to help create a curriculum and class schedule;
- Electronic control of attendance at an educational institution, its laboratories or reading room;
In conclusion, we note that it is difficult to argue with the fact that modern computer technology provides a person with invaluable training assistance. Let us not forget that we are at the very beginning of the way to introduce new technologies in the field of education. The market is just forming. This is an incentive to use various technical tools in the future.