Written on 11/11/2019
How do I create a free Gmail address?
To create a Gmail email account, you must have a Google Account :
- If you already have with a Googleaccount, simply sign in to Gmail with your Google Account username and password. Click here to login.
- Otherwise, you have to create a Googleaccount, which allows you to create a Gmail account at the same time. Follow the steps below.
Creating a Gmail account actually allows you to use many Google products, including Google Docs, Google Drive cloud storage, Youtube videos, Google Maps directions, and of course your smartphone or tablet if it’s on Android.
And then Gmail is a very good email, very convenient, with huge online storage.
Follow these steps:
- Go to https://accounts.google.com/SignUp
- Fill in the fields: first name, last name, username and password and go to the next step.
- Enter your phone number to receive an activation code (by SMS or voice call)
- Indicate the code received
- Once validated, you arrive at a screen where it is possible to :
- Remove the phone number you specified (if you don’t want it to remain associated with your Google Account).
- provide a recovery email address (useful for securing your account)
- to indicate your date of birth (day, month, year): this is mandatory
- to indicate your gender: it is mandatory to choose, but you can indicate “unspecified”.
✅ It’s done! Small summary in 2 pictures…
1️⃣ The 1st step is to create your Google account, and don’t forget to choose your Gmail address.
❓Le did you know? The Gmail account is optional in a Google Account, you can click ‘use my current email address instead’. Here it’s not the point, otherwise you won’t have a Gmail address…
How to create a Gmail address: step 1
2️⃣ Then Google asks you for a phone number to send you a code :
Think carefully if you wish to remain anonymous (using a nickname) or on the contrary to put forward your identity. In the latter case, try the format firstname.lastname @gmail.com even though it is likely to be already in use…
It is useless to try to add a point, or to remove it: it is ignored, in order to protect the 1st created account. For example, if the address [email protected] already exists, then Google considers that [email protected] (without the dot) also exists and that it is the same Gmail box.
If Google indicates that the address is already taken, try adding a word that is associated with you, it will help you find a free address without having to add a lot of numbers.
The following trick is not that well known, yet it is very practical!
You can create as many subaddresses as you want, in the same Gmail account, without having to configure anything anywhere. Just use the + sign which is used for to make an alias.
If your Gmail address is [email protected] then you can give the address email@example.com to whoever you want, you will receive the mails.
You can create as many aliases as you want. For each child, each activity, each event, etc.. Even disposable!
Even better, you can create filters in Gmail to automatically sort mail by alias.
As you’ve noticed, Google requires a phone number to finalize the creation of your account.
- it’s good because it allows to secure the account, especially with the 2-factor authentication
- but it’s not so good if you want to keep a low profile and not give everything to Google…
A trick is to provide a number during the registration phase, but after entering the code received by SMS, you can delete the phone number before finalizing the account creation.
This number can be someone else’s, or even your own but which you will then delete.
Tip: There are far more advantages than disadvantages to giving your real number. The consequences of hacking into your Gmail inbox are often serious. You might as well use every possible means to protect your account, especially since it’s not just about Gmail, but about all the Google services you’ll use.
To connect to your email account, follow these instructions depending on the type of device you are using.
On computer, go to https://mail.google.com/ then enter your Gmail email address and password. If this is not enough, click here to login. Then you will arrive in your Gmail inbox.
On Android and iOS (iPhone or iPad), open the Gmail application and see which Google account it opens with. If it is not the right one, click on your profile picture and then on “Add another account”.
See also: how to completely delete a Gmail account
A Google Account consists of :
- Google Account email address: cannot be changed
- Recovery email address: optional, it helps increase security. This is where Google will contact you if there is unusual activity on your account or if you have problems accessing your account. Click here to set your recovery email address.
- Contact email address: Google will send you information about most of the products you use with this account. It doesn’t have to be a Gmail address. Click here to find your contact address or add a new one.
- Secondary email addresses: These are email addresses that you can use to log into your account, in addition to the primary address. They can also be used to reach you if you lose access to your account. Click here to view them or add a secondary address.
- “About me” profile email addresses: Addresses that you can share with other people in different Google products such as Drive or Photos.
How do I create a Gmail account without a phone number?
Don’t believe what the tutorials say about this, they are not up to date: it is now mandatory to indicate a phone number. But read this trick that can help you out.
️ How do I create a temporary or disposable Gmail address?
Once you have a gmail address, you can add the + sign and the word of your choice behind it to create another address. Read here how to do it concretely.
How do I open a free Gmail account?
Follow this tutorial by choosing the account type carefully at the beginning. Choose “Create an account for me” and not “Create an account to manage my business”.
@ What is the format of the Gmail username?
You need between 6 and 30 characters, consisting of letters, numbers or a period, knowing that in fact the period is ignored.
Can we have a mail on gmail.fr instead of gmail.com?
No this is not possible, the only extension used for Gmail accounts is @gmail.com (or @googlemail.com)
What if the username is already in use?
If the name you specified is not available, you must add variants to distinguish yourself from the one taken. Add an original word or otherwise a series of numbers.
?️ How do I change my first name or Gmail account name?
Fill out the form located here.
Where can I get help connecting to my Gmail inbox?
See Google’s help for connecting on your computer, Android, or iOS.
Did you like this article?