Monochrome and publisher Hatinh Interactive have announced their new project, Tandem: A tale of shadows for the release of 2021. Tandem: A Tale of Shadows is a platform game with action and adventure elements. The game will be released later this year on PC, Nintendo Switch PS4 and Xbox One.
The story of the game takes place when Thomas, the only son of the Canes, a famous wizarding couple, lives in London at the end of the 19th century. The century disappears. Emma, a young fan of the couple’s show, goes in search of her missing son, convinced that she must find him at all costs. If she goes to the Kane estate. She mysteriously meets Fenton, the teddy bear Thomas, who has magical powers.
The two men join forces to find Thomas, and together they defy all obstacles that stand in their way. Tandem: Tale of Shadows was recently revealed during the MIX Game Dev Direct presentation. The developer and publisher have also released a trailer for the game. You can also watch it below:
Tandem: Shadow Story will delight platformer fans with dozens of puzzles in five beautiful Victorian-style worlds. You alternate between a top-down view of Emma and a side-scrolling horizontal view of Fenton. If you combine the two play styles, you’ll often need to aim Emma’s lantern to cast shadows that Fenton can use to cross. The story will give more details about the relationship between the girl and Fenton, and also about the disappearance of Thomas.
J.B. Grasset, CEO and co-founder of Monochrome Paris, said:
With Tandem, we want to evolve the platform game genre with exciting stories, stunning production values and well thought out gameplay. We look forward to enchanting players later this year with the imaginative and mysterious world we have carefully created.
Philip DAO, CEO and co-founder of Hatinh Interactive, added:
Not only are we continually impressed with Tandem’s playing style and aesthetic, but we also strongly believe in the uniqueness of doubles play.
The main features of the game are:
- Stunning art direction: explore a playful and scary world inspired by Jules Verne, Conan Doyle, Tim Burton and Victorian architecture. Each dimension of the tandem resembles a work of art from German Expressionism or the Dutch Golden Age coming to life.
- Clever puzzles – Solve 45 puzzles and obstacles to solve the mystery of Thomas Kane’s disappearance. Defeat evil spiders, scary clowns, etc.
- The double play is an exchange of perspectives between Emma and Fenton. Light up the scene and cast shadows, like Emma, from top to bottom. Walk through the shadows cast by Emma’s flashlight in Fenton’s side-scrolling game.
- Battle Strategy – Players will encounter mechanical toy enemies and bosses of all sizes. Since Emma can’t attack, the fans have to rely on their wits to get by.
- Narrative Adventure – Collect clues hidden throughout the game worlds to find out more about Emma, Fenton the teddy bear and Thomas’ disappearance.
- Various mechanics – Click or drag objects to create shadows. Use alarms and traps to your advantage. Tandem includes a variety of interactive elements to keep players on their toes.
The game’s Steam page is now available. You can follow the evolution of the game and add it to your wish list. More details about the game will be announced later.
Let us know in the comments below if you are interested in playing in tandem: A Tale of Shadows, whether it comes out or not.